Important Steps to Follow in Order to Receive Financial Aid

While many consider applying for financial aid to be a daunting task, it is our priority to make this process as easy as possible. Follow these steps to apply for financial aid:


To apply for federal student aid, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Loyola's school code is 002016.

To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:

  • Your Social Security Number

  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

  • Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)

  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)

  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

  • An FSA ID to sign electronically.

    • The FSA ID allows students to identify themselves electronically to access FSA Web sites.  

    • An FSA ID is made up of a username and password and can be used to log into FAFSA on the Web.

If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create an FSA ID at Create a New FSA ID.


Once the Office of Financial Aid receives your FAFSA, each admitted student will be packaged for financial aid. You will receive an *electronic award letter discussing your eligibility. Students must meet certain requirements for eligibility of federal aid.                   See Who Gets Aid .   


Direct Plus Loan for Graduate and Professional Students

As a graduate/professional student, you are now eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan Program. Applicants for this loan are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must have applied for your annual loan maximum eligibility under the Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program before applying for a Direct PLUS loan. 

Here’s a quick overview of Direct PLUS Loan:

  • The U.S. Department of Education is your lender.

  • You must not have an adverse credit history. A credit check will be conducted. If you have an adverse credit history, you may still be able to receive a PLUS loan if you meet additional requirements.

  • The maximum PLUS loan amount you can receive is the Cost of Attendance minus any other financial assistance (scholarships are included) received.

If you are interested in applying for the Direct PLUS Loan, please visit Please review your award letter for the maximum amount you may borrow. 

Private Loans

Private loans can provide you with another avenue for meeting remaining costs. Many banks and lending institutions offer student loans privately. The loan will be in the student's name, but most lenders also require a co-signer. Terms and interest rates vary, so borrowers should exercise due diligence and carefully evaluate each private loan offer. As a reminder, the maximum private loan amount you can receive is the Cost of Attendance minus any other financial assistance (scholarships are included) received.

If you are interested in applying for a private loan, please contact a lender of your choice for details about the loan and application process. Please review your award letter for the maximum amount you may borrow. 


There is no due date for forms, we do have a priority date/time.  We suggest all required documents be on file at least a week prior to tuition & fees due date.  Information about tuition and fees may be found by visiting Student Finance’s webpage at: .

For new students, if you opt to borrow loans, you are required to complete a Loan Agreement (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Direct PLUS Loan (each loan has a separate MPN). These forms are to be completed electronically at under the Graduate/Professional Student Tab. Once submitted, the Department of Education electronically transmits all documents to our office within 48 hours.

MPNs are good for ten (10) years. A new MPN must be completed  after:

  • 1 year of inactivity

  • Each endorsed Direct PLUS Loan approval

PLUS Credit Counseling

PLUS Credit Counseling will help students and parents understand the obligations associated with borrowing a PLUS loan and assist them in making careful decisions about taking on student loan debt. PLUS Credit Counseling is required if the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you have an adverse credit history and you have:

  • Obtained an endorser or

  • Documented extenuating circumstances to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education

PLUS Credit Counseling must be completed electronically at under the Graduate/Professional Student Tab.


To accept your financial aid award, you must complete a Law Financial Aid Response form.

Continuing Students may submit an electronic copy of the Law Financial Aid Response Form (continuing students ONLY)

Incoming 1Ls MUST submit a HARD COPY of the Law Financial Aid Response Form (Hard Copy) (Incoming 1Ls for the 2019-2020 Academic Year

If you are still considering your financial options such as a supplemental loan, do not complete the Law Financial Aid Response Form until all of your aid is listed and you have made a final decision about accepting the amounts awarded.

If you choose not to accept a portion of your financial aid, you may decline any part of your package on the Law Financial Aid Response Form PRIOR to disbursement. Please remember that the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Direct PLUS loan both have an origination fee. The loan fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. This means the money you receive will be less than the amount you actually borrow. You're responsible for repaying the entire amount borrowed and not just the amount received.

For more information about Interest Rates and Fees, please visit


Financial Aid is scheduled to disburse the 1st week of classes each semester. Once funds are disbursed, you will notice a credit in your university student account.  After all tuition, fees and other charges are paid and you still have excess funds in your student account, you may request a refund by using Student Financial Services’ online refund request form at or from the Account Summary page in LORA. Refunds usually require about a week processing time and will be released only when all funds are received.

***Excess funds WILL NOT be available to students until after the add/drop period ends in each session enrolled. Please check the Academic Calendar for dates. ***


Loyola University New Orleans is offering this free service to its students who are eligible for refunds, please visit Profile Setup Instructions. Setting up an e-Refund Profile is NOT the same as requesting a refund. After you have successfully set up an e-Refund profile, you MUST submit a request for refund (directions have been provided above).