The Loyola College of Law Archives collects all materials related to the history and culture of the College of Law. Our offices are located in the administrative suite of the Law Library. The Archives has papers from former deans, current and former faculty, alumni, and ephemera from various University departments and College of Law student associations. The Archives collections are from approximately 1920 to present and illustrate the development of the University and the College of Law. Some former deans and faculty papers are from Dean Klebba, Dean Lorio, and Prof. Rousseau. The Archives collections are in a variety of formats, including audio recordings of the 1973 Louisiana Constitutional Convention and the Broadway Campus architectural drawings. In addition to Loyola matters we also have materials from regional organizations, including the Louisiana Law Institute and the New Orleans Association of Law Librarians. The College of Law Archives collections must be viewed within the Law Library, but photocopy services are available. If you are interested in viewing our collections, please email the archives at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Law Library has cataloged some archival materials published by the faculty and departments of the College of Law. This material has a location of “Archives” in the Library catalog and can be checked-out to Loyola faculty and staff. Please see the Law Library Circulation Desk for assistance.
Brief Summaries of Some of the Collections within the College of Law Archives
Win-Shin S. Chiang Papers (.41 linear feet). 1979-1986. Win-Shin S. Chiang was the law library director and professor at the College of Law from 1976 to 1987. The collection includes a detailed overview of the planning and relocation of the College of Law to the Broadway Campus in 1986. The papers include architectural drawings, reports, meeting minutes, and correspondence with emphasis on the Law Library.
Frederick J. Gisevius Papers (1 linear foot). 1970-1994. Frederick J. Gisevius was a 1936 graduate of the College of Law and a practitioner in New Orleans. This collection contains work related documents including briefs, case files, correspondence, and a 1987 signed photograph by Chief Justice Pascal F. Calogero, Jr.
James M. Klebba Papers (6.91 linear feet). 1963-1996. Prof. James M. Klebba, Emeritus, began teaching at the College of Law in 1973, tenured in 1980, and was interim dean from August 1989 to July 1990 and August 2001 to July 2003. This collection contains work related documents, research on environmental law, and one manuscript. Subjects include the College of Law and University financial relations, College of Law autonomy, the Eastern European Summer Program, faculty salaries, budgets, and fundraising. It also includes statistics on bar passage, University giving, endowments, and expenditures.
Kathryn V. Lorio Louisiana Law Institute Papers (4.36 linear feet). Circa 1982-2009. This collection consists of papers from Prof. Lorio’s committee work at the Louisiana Law Institute. Included are notes, numerous committee revisions, and correspondence predominantly from the Marriage-Persons Committee and the Successions and Donations Committee.
Dennis L. Rousseau Papers (9.33 linear feet). 1954-2000. Prof. Dennis L. Rousseau, Emeritus, began teaching at the College of Law in 1959, tenured in 1969, and was executive assistant to the president from 1970 to 1974. This collection contains work related documents from committee work at Loyola University, the Louisiana Law Institute, and case files. Prof. Rousseau was an active member of the Loyola University community, participating in the Board of Directors, President’s Council, Corporate Council, Faculty Council, Board of Regents, Budget and Finance Committees, and Administrative Council. Subjects include the development of Loyola University facilities over eighteen years, and University policies on disruption and protest, and affirmative action.
Broadway Campus Architectural Drawings Collection (1 linear foot). June 1984-October 1986 (bulk 1984). This collection consists of 39 rolls of drawings by The Mathes Group and Library Interiors, Inc. Some rolls have multiple drawings and handwritten notations. Most of the drawings are titled ‘Alterations and Additions to Law School Broadway Campus Loyola University New Orleans Louisiana,’ and/or ‘Equipment Plan by Library Interiors Inc.’
Committee on Bill of Rights and Elections Audio Tape Collection (1.83 linear feet). March 1973-December 1973. This collection contains 1 folder and 49 audio tapes purchased on April 9, 1998 by Prof. James E. Viator from the Louisiana State Archives. The audio tapes are recordings of the committee sessions during the 1973 Louisiana Constitutional Convention.
Louisiana Law Institute Collection (8.25 linear feet). 1954-2008. This collection includes committee revisions, reports and minutes arranged by committee and date. Some committee reporters and members are current and former deans, faculty, and alumni of the College of Law, including Judge Adrian G. Duplantier, Sr., Joseph H. Lawson, Kathryn V. Lorio, John J. McAulay, Antonio E. Papale Sr., Gerard A. Rault Jr., Janet Mary Riley, and Dian Tooley-Knoblett. Some revisions have handwritten notes by Kathryn V. Lorio, Joseph H. Lawson, and Janet Mary Riley.
Loyola College of Law Ephemera (5 linear feet). Circa 1923-2015. This collection contains printed matter, photographs and artifacts produced from the activities of the College of Law. Also included are news clippings and articles about the College of Law. This collection does not have financial and administrative records, or correspondence.